Thusfar, Survival Korean is just ok. The first few segments on the alphabet were quite a bother because no one thought it helpful enough to seperate the audio into tracks or at least provide an audio marker in the track-that-never-ends to seperate them. So, on pages 30-31, there are 5 different audio segments which are stuffed away in the middle of a 16-minute track on the accompanying cd. I kid you not, it was so annoying, I used an audio editor and divided it into 20 different tracks. That way, I can easily go back to any particular section of consonents or vowels without having to fast forward or rewind like it's 1999.

My only other beef is the fact that there are lists of "Bonus Vocabulary" at the end of each chapter that are NOT on the cds. Folks, how much does it really cost to keep the talent in the studio a few more hours? Seriously.

On a positive note, this is the first Korean language material I've picked up that didn't start off by introducing the concept of kimchi or devoting more than a paragraph to the scientificness of the Korean alphabet and how smart and fabulous King Sejong was.

That said, I've got the alphabet about half memorized. I haven't been able to make any proper flash cards since my printer broke. In the meantime, I'll try not to devote too much brain power to what the heck is up with two different methods of counting--one of which is supposed to be based in Chinese but sounds NOTHING like Mandarin. What's up with that? Do they match with Cantonese or something? *sigh*

0 comments:

About